Youth Ministry Coordinator
The youth ministry coordinator is a staff member who coordinates St. Andrew’s ministries with young people in 6th through 12th grades. Primary areas of responsibility include communicating and building relationships with youth and families; planning and executing youth formation offerings including but not limited to youth group, Confirmation formation, mission trips, spiritual retreats, and local mission opportunities; and providing a pastoral presence to youth. The coordinator collaborates with clergy (especially the Pastor for Young Adults and Families), other Christian formation staff, the Troop 16 scoutmaster and cubmaster, and the members of the Youth Ministry Commission in designing and implementing the programs.
Responsibilities of Position:
• Communicate with youth and parents about upcoming activities (texts, phone, social media, e-mail, e-newsletter).
• Update youth-ministry calendar.
• Respond to incoming communication in a timely manner.
Youth Christian Formation:
• Develop curriculum plan and recruit speakers for Youth Group and other youth formation opportunities.
• Scout possible locations for field trips and mission activities for parish youth.
• Prepare lessons, activities, games, and materials for Youth Group and other youth formation opportunities.
• Lead weekly Youth Group meetings.
• Support an intergenerational, life-wide approach to youth ministry by recruiting youth to participate and facilitating their integration in the wider liturgical expression of the parish as lectors, ushers, choir members, Eucharistic ministers, and other areas of worship leadership, particularly on Sundays.
• Work with the Troop 16 scoutmaster and cubmaster to enhance spiritual formation in Scouting activities.
Special Youth Events:
• Plan and execute ongoing special events, such as field trips, lock-ins, and diocesan/metro youth events.
• Plan and execute annual special events, such as the ski trip or spiritual retreat, Confirmation retreat, mission trips, and youth-ministry kickoff event.
• Assist the Youth Ministry Commission with the annual Christmas-tree sale and other fundraisers.
• Connect with youth and families, especially new families and those who have not been involved in youth activities.
• Meet with youth for counsel and mentorship.
Youth Confirmation Preparation:
• Help the Pastor for Young Adults and Families develop curricula for Confirmation classes.
• Help prepare lessons and materials for Confirmation classes.
• Help lead Confirmation classes.
• Take part in weekly staff meetings and biweekly supervision meetings.
• Take part in monthly Youth Ministry Committee meetings.
• Take part in diocesan Youth Ministry Commission as time allows.
• Recruit, support, and supervise youth interns.
• Prepare check requests for expenditures.
• Maintain records of expenditures; track individual youth fundraising accounts.
Desired qualifications, competencies, and characteristics include:
• Ability to guide youth in their spiritual growth in the context of the Episcopal tradition.
• Ability to communicate, connect with, and build relationships with youth and their parents.
• A fun, energetic, inspiring, and enthusiastic personality.
• A collaborative approach to ministry.
• Experience with and a passion for working with teens.
• Successful experience in developing and expanding a youth program
• Comfort, skills, and ability to demonstrate good boundaries and good judgment with social media and other information technology.
• Strong self-direction and time-management skills.
• Stamina, mobility, and a current driver’s license.
• Clearance by a comprehensive background check, following diocesan guidelines.
Part Time (25 hours/week)
Who are we?:
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church – Kansas City, Missouri is a community that seeks to “praise, learn, and share God’s love” to our neighborhood, city, and world by supporting people through all phases of their spiritual journeys and to help them find or rediscover Christ’s love through ritual, reason, and meaningful connections. At St. Andrew’s we invite people to:
Live a life-long and life-wide faith. We believe we are called not simply to believe in Christ but also to serve Christ in our parish, our city, and our world.
Rediscover tradition. St. Andrew’s serves by holding in tandem rich tradition and fresh spiritual expression with diverse ways to worship, connect and grow.
Seek unity in diversity. At St. Andrew’s we believe the contribution of “all sorts” of people help us better know the mind of God. Our rich and proud history of personal connections reminds us that by only loving openly and without judgment can we truly know healing.
Join the conversation. St. Andrew’s is a traditional church with a modern message. We provide a safe environment where all points of view are respected, considered, and sometimes even challenged.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
The Rev. Marcus G. Halley
Pastor for Young Adults and Families
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
phone – 816.213.1692, x 109